Recovering After Cruise Ship Injuries
People buy tickets for cruises expecting to have a relaxing, carefree vacation and experience different ports. However, as many cruise veterans can tell you, these vacations are not always as perfect as they promise. Many different things can go wrong on a cruise ship and, to complicate matters, injured passengers are often stuck at sea for extended periods of time following their injuries.
Cruise ships have the duty to keep the premises on the ship in reasonably safe condition to avoid injuries to guests. This means they are expected to regularly inspect the ship for any potentially hazardous conditions and repair these conditions in a timely fashion. In addition, they must provide adequate warning to guests of any hazards that do exist and cannot be immediately repaired. If a cruise ship is not properly maintained, injuries can occur.
Many different kinds of accidents may happen
Because cruise ships have so many different areas and activities, there are many different ways that guests can suffer injuries. Common accidents include the following:
- Slips, trips, and falls1 in hallways, common areas, decks, restaurants, or pool areas
- Falls from one deck to another due to broken or inadequate railings
- Drowning2 or other pool and spa-related accidents
- Food poisoning
- Injuries from defective furniture in rooms
- Injuries or illnesses from unsanitary conditions
- Assaults due to inadequate security
- Injuries caused by amenities or activities such as fitness centers or rock climbing walls
- Impact injuries from collisions with ports or other objects
- Drowning from falling overboard
In addition to the initial injury, many patrons find that their injuries may be exacerbated and more complications may develop due to inadequate medical care aboard the ship. The ship is required to have a qualified and well-trained medical staff that knows how to treat patrons who have suffered injury in a timely manner.
Contact a premises liability attorney in Cumming, Georgia for a free consultation
If you have suffered injury on a cruise vacation, you should immediately discuss your situation with an experienced premises liability lawyer at Boling Rice, LLC. We offer free consultations, so please call at 770-887-3162 today.